Friday 23 July 2010

Project One - Scrap Patchwork Quilt (Part One)

First weekly project, thought i'd start with a patchwork quilt, to try and use up some of the masses of scrap fabric i have, since i did promise my partener i'd do something usefull with it (he thinks its silly that i keep all of the scraps that are too small to even sew childrens clothes from, i've tried using the excuse i'm being eco-friendly but really i keep them because there such pretty fabric that i cant bare to part with them!)
So i dug out all of these especially pretty pink scraps, i took a few pictures as i went so i could post making the quilt from start to end.



I started off by marking and cutting out hundreds of rectangles from my scrap fabric, i found a cheap biro was actually a lot better for marking my fabric than tailors chalk, dressmakers chalk etc.



Starting to sew all of the rectangles together, chain stitching to save on thread.



A few of my rectangles sewn together, i pieced together 20 rectangles for each row of my quilt.



sewing together the rows.



All of the rectanlges sewn together, making up the quilt top.



The quilt top folded up, i sewed around some of the hearts on some of the patterned fabric, just for a pretty touch on the quilt top



This last picture is my quilt top pinned to a layer of batting, and the pink velour i'm using as my backing on the bottom. I found trying to pin them together on my desk was impossible, everything just moved about, so i layed them on the carpet in the hall, and i found the velour fabric sort of stuck to the carpet, so the batting and quilt top layed perfectly flat on top, and nothing moved about as i pinned them!

Well thats as far as i've got, but hopefully i'll finish this and post a part two for this project soon.....well, i might get bored and move on to something else, but i'll get back to finishing it eventually!

No comments:

Post a Comment